I tried to look at MySpace. I couldn't find much for educational pages. I didn't really like the pages I looked at...and don't like that just anybody can look at your info.
I have had Facebook for awhile, but hadn't really explored any educational pages. So, that's what I did. I added the groups Third Grade Teachers, Have Fun Teaching, and Free Technology for Teachers. There have already been a few posts that I've found helpful.
I think Facebook is fast-growing because it allows for people like me to be connected to people I care about...old friends, new friends, colleagues, family... It is a way to keep updated on peoples' lives and it's an easy way to communicate. I love it!
As for adding students as friends, I've stayed away from it for the most part. I have a few that are friends with my kids or family friends. It's a cool way to connect with them, but I don't know if it could cause a problem or cross a line. I'm very undecided...(not surprising!).
I hadn't explored many educational pages on Facebook either and have found many relevant groups - so much information - ahhhh!
ReplyDeleteAs for friending students; that is a tough call. I'd like to use Facebook in our school creating groups based on the interests and needs of our students and parents.
Students are not supposed to create an account unless they are 13, however if a parent creates the account under their email it is OK. So how's a teacher to know? Hmmm...