Wanna Be Surfer

Yahoo! Avatars

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thing # 5 flickr photosharing


Our Piano
Originally uploaded by dee.johnson
Logan and I have been going through the pictures of him and his "gigs" and I ran across this picture. It is one of my favorites. My parents bought this piano when I was in elementary school in South Dakota. We brought it home in the back of a truck up and down steep hills on a gravel road. It made the move to Owatonna with us. My younger sister Wendy probably used it the most (by far she had the most talent). When my parents moved to the lake I only lived a few blocks away, so I got it! Hannah and Logan have both learned to play on it. Logan gives it a real workout!! It is old and worn out...but loved!

I like the idea of organizing pictures this way. I'm a little unsure about making them public. My kids have done basically the same thing on facebook. I never thought about the fact that all of our pictures on our computer could be gone if something happened to the computer. We print some pics, but there are many that we haven't. So, putting them on the web is a great idea.

I'm not sure how I would use this with kids. It's a great resource that I could use when studying a topic....pictures of animals, rocks, places that we are talking or learning about.

We could upload pictures from field trips (rock quarry, zoo) and write descriptions of the pictures. I wouldn't want any of my students to be in the pictures, unless we made it private and available only to parents.

I'm sure there are many ways people are using this in their classrooms. I'd love to hear about them or any of your ideas.

1 comment:

  1. What a touching story. Thanks for sharing it.

    Dee, the idea of labeling the pictures from field trips is a great one. Imagine the numerous skills involved in that process!

    I also like the idea of getting the pics out there; stored away from my computer. Right now I think my pics are only available to those I invite. I should probably check that out!

    We've used Flickr quite a bit with some classes trying to help students see something other than Google Images (which we are to assume are copyrighted unless otherwise stated). Flickr has a great amount of pics available for copyright-free use.

    When Liz and I took Emily to AZ last year we did LOTS of videotaping. Because we posted the video on Flickr, Emily was able to have access to those memories on demand. Nice she didn't have to wait for her next trip home.

    ReplyDelete