I really like the wiki concept! I especially like idea of using one the way Cheryl K. is using it to communicate with a committee and then keeping others updated on what they are doing! I think the uses are endless with many benefits!
I think our staff could benefit from using a wiki just for times we sign up for stuff (bus safety, priest visits, Track and Field Day...). I saw one wiki that the school was using for conference sign-ups which seems MUCH simpler than the current way we are doing this.
I thought I might like a classroom blog attached to my website, but I wonder if a wiki would also (or instead of) be good. Some of the classroom wikis I looked at had pages for each student and they did homework on their page. I think I had a student last year who did not have access to a computer at home, so that would be something to consider. This would have been helpful for group projects that my own kids had to do outside of school time, as the hardest part was usually finding a time for all group members to get together.
I want to keep exploring different blogs and wikis to try to get my arms around if and how I could use these with my class and my colleagues.
As for banning wikis for research... I think we need to teach students about the problems of using this format and let them explore and learn as they go... But, I'm not sure!
You have good ideas about how wikis and blogs can be used with our students. So important for us do just what you are; exploring and trying to "get our arms around" the best way to use these tools.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea about using a wiki to sign up for different things going on at school- you are amazing!
ReplyDelete