Wanna Be Surfer

Yahoo! Avatars

Monday, August 2, 2010

Thing #11 Google Maps

Well, I have had a little trouble with Google Maps. We have a literature unit called Community Ties. One year we got on a bus and toured Owatonna, stopping and taking pictures of different spots and then creating a slideshow of our community. I think we could do something similar on Google Maps. I did creat a map and marked several favorite Owatonna spots. I know we could then add pictures and write about each spot...but I had trouble with this. As you can see in my previous post I also had trouble just embedding it into my post. I did get it in, but every time I tried to compose something my computer just shut down. I even tried on another computer and it shut down. So, it doesn't like something I did. This site has some really cool features and again the the possibilities are endless, but I need HELP and TIME!!

2 comments:

  1. The kids would enjoy working with Google Maps - maybe even fun for them to find another community and locate similar sites.

    Concerning your embedding issue - hmmmm...
    When you are pasting the embed code for your item into the post have you tried clicking the "Edit html" button?
    *If you tried that and it still didn't work I'm not certain what else you could do (we'll have to talk).
    *If you haven't tried that here's what you can try: Click the "edit html" button (right next to the "compose" button)and your post will go into coded script - don't freak-it looks intimidating. Then scroll to find an empty line and paste the embed code. Go back to the compose mode and you should be able to see your item move it around your post by dragging it. Hope this works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dee, I had trouble with GoogleMaps too. It seems a bit touchy. When I finally had my map and posted it, it moved one of my roads. It seemed to think it knew my running route better than I did :)
    Creating a community map is a great way to help the students know our city.

    ReplyDelete